Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Self-righteousness, the mind killer.

If we were honest with ourselves, we'd never dare to hold our righteousness... or "goodness"... in comparison to the Maker-Servant-Redeemer-King of the Universe. But, alas, we do, don't we? A lot.

Since fear and self-righteousness (I think) are related (and because I love the books/movies so much) here's a quote from Frank Herbert's "Dune" on this matter:

"Fear is the mind killer. I will not fear. I will face my fear and let it pass through me." The same can be said of self-righteousness... a daughter of fear and it's attendant insecurities.

In some phases I operate more by love than by fear, but, for the most part, I find myself comparing others to my own imagined and lofty ideal of "perfect" life & living... and seeing if they stand a chance against "almighty me."

And yet, when I do that, love suffers. And since abundant life and creative thought and out-reaching love all go hand in hand, my eternally-growing mind also suffers.

Why can't I just admire the differences in the people around me... not to the exclusion of a sublime sharing in worship of the Creator... but pointedly delighting in the uniqe vision and personality before me... now? (thereby apprehending a more vital microcosm - previous blog.)

Ol' Solomon said, "Have you met a person who thinks he is wise? There is more hope for a fool than for him." (from Proverbs)

And Paul added, "If any man thinks he knows anything, he hasn't understood yet. But if any man loves God, then God knows him!" (1st Corinthians 8:2) The emphasis of knowledge (and, specifically, OWNERSHIP of that knowledge) is upon God's knowing... we are only rightly concerned with our quality of LOVE! We don't hold onto something that we created within ourself or somehow achieved by ourself, but heave our being into the simple, passionate and sentient loving... of the Giver of all good and perfect gifts... and of the people He also loves.

"for a man receives NOTHING unless it is first given to him from above." (James 1:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!