Saturday, January 31, 2004

Solid Rock

Edward Mote was a merry old soul. His merriment and gaiety (not to be confused with today's distortion of the term) was not based upon his happenstance, however... his deep joy was borne of the gift of God - faith in Jesus... Yeshua, the Creator/Savior from Israel.

Born: January 21, 1797, London, England.
Died: November 13, 1874, Horsham, Sussex, England.
Buried: Horsham, Sussex, England.



Mote spent his early career in the cabinetry business. One strong influence in his life was John Hyatt, who preached at Tottenham Court Road Chapel, one of the chapels run by Lady Huntingdon. Mote eventually became a Baptist pastor and served 26 years at Horsham, Sussex. He was so well loved that his congregation offered him title to the church building, but he said:

"I do not want the chapel, I only want the pulpit; and when I cease to preach Christ, then turn me out of that."

He also penned the words to the famous song, "Christ the Solid Rock." The song is fun to sing... but more than that, it's words will rock you WAY more than "Queen" EVER could! The systems of this world are passing away and the Creator's eternal government of peace is being ceded to the meek of heart.

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!